Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4598242 [OS Build 19042.746] of January 2021 is also an edition of patch Tuesday. This update is launched every second Tuesday of the month.
- Updates to improve security when using external devices, such as game controllers, printers, and web cameras.
- Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
Recent update: KB4493157 Windows 10 Cumulative Update
How to download and install KB4598242 Windows 10 Cumulative Update:
Today we are going to guide you on how to download and install KB4598242 Windows 10 Cumulative Update [OS Build 19042.746] – January 2021.
Note This release also contains updates for Microsoft HoloLens (OS Build 19041.1134) released January 13, 2021. Microsoft will release an update directly to the Windows Update Client to improve Windows Update reliability on Microsoft HoloLens that have not updated to this most recent OS Build.
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Addresses a security vulnerability issue with HTTPS-based intranet servers. After installing this update, HTTPS-based intranet servers cannot, by default, use a user proxy to detect updates. Scans using these servers will fail if you have not configured a system proxy on the clients. If you must use a user proxy, you must configure the behavior using the policy “Allow user proxy to be used as a fallback if detection using system proxy fails.” To ensure the highest levels of security, also use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Transport Layer Security (TLS) certificate pinning on all devices. This change does not affect customers who are using HTTP WSUS servers. For more information, see Changes to scans, improved security for Windows devices.
- Addresses a security bypass vulnerability that exists in the way the Printer Remote Procedure Call (RPC) binding handles authentication for the remote Winspool interface. For more information, see KB4599464.
- Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Kernel, Windows Cryptography, Windows Virtualization, Windows Peripherals, and Windows Hybrid Storage Services.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the new Security Update Guide website.
Install Through Windows Update option:
Follow the sequence mentioned below. it will take you in the Windows 10 optional update option.
- Windows Settings –> Update & Security –> Windows Update. Click on the Check for updates button located In the right-hand pane.
When Windows 10 will complete the search, it will show you the update with install and time option if available. Under the updates section, you will also see an Optional Update option. 2021-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for 64/32-based Systems (KB4598242) will be available. Click on the update and install it on the computer.