The wireless or network printer can have several advantages over the wired printer, but when it comes to security, the wired printer remains in the first place. Another advantage of the wired printer is its communication speed for data transfer which can be used without worrying about signal loss. For this reason, many users still prefer to use the wired printer even in these ultra-modern times. But to use the wired printer, you first need to know how to add your printer to your computer.
Add a local printer in Windows 10
To manually install, connect, or add a local printer using an Ethernet cable on a Windows 10 computer:
- Connect your printer to your computer using the USB cable
- Then turn on the printer
- Open Windows Settings using the Win + I keyboard shortcut.
- On the Settings page, select Devices> Printers & Scanners.
- In the right pane, click the plus sign (+) that says Add a printer or scanner.
- Wait a moment each time the system searches for your printer.
- Once your device completes the search process, it will display everything it finds in a list below.
- If your local printer is present in the list, select it, then click the Add a device button.
The printer I want is not on the list
If your computer can’t find your printer, or if you don’t see the printer in the list of results, click the link that says “The printer I want isn’t listed“.
On the next page, select the radio button next to Add a local printer or a network printer with manual configuration, and then click the Next button to continue.
On the next screen, you will see a list of options to install a local printer and a wireless printer.
Since you are here to add a local printer, you should select “My printer is a little older.” Help me find it. “Or” Add a local or network printer with manual configuration ”
We suggest that you choose the first option, ie “My printer is a little older. Please help me find it.” and let your system search for the printer.
After that, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the procedure.
If that doesn’t work and you can’t find your printer, you can choose the last option in the list which says “Add a local printer or a network printer with manual configuration“.
Now follow the on-screen instructions and provide the details you will be asked to complete the procedure.