I’m sure you’ve heard of ZIP archives. It is a compressed file format that can be used to compress and compress one or more files or folders together, to save disk space because it is smaller. It is one of the most common file formats that allows you to compress files to save hard drive space, store rarely used files, send documents and images by email. -mail or to facilitate your transfer or shared use on the network. You can also compress them in zip format to make them available for download on websites or via FTP servers.
In this article, we will walk you through the easy steps to zip and unzip files and save storage to your computer’s hard drive, using the built-in ZIP functionality.
How to zip unzip files in Windows 10
To compress files in Windows 10 using the built-in function:
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the files and/or folders you want to compress in .zip format.
- Right-click and select all the desired items.
- A blue selection rectangle appears.
- Right-click on it and select Send to> Compressed folder (compressed)
- The .zip file will be created.
- Name it whatever you like, and you’re done compressing the selected files to save your hard drive storage.
How to unzip files in Windows 10
To unzip files in Windows 10, follow this step-by-step procedure:
- Locate the compressed folder you want to unzip.
- Right-click on it and click the Extract All option.
- By default, the path would be the same location as the compressed folder. But you can change the destination by
- clicking the Browse button.
- Then click the Extract button and the files will be unzipped to the selected destination.
- By following these procedures, you will be able to compress and decompress files in Windows 10.