Windows live mail is an email client that allows users to send or receive emails. Microsoft has discontinued this email client but still many of your using this email client. However, some of the users are facing annoying issues with this email client.
Windows live mail creates the folders so that users can get access to the emails in the client anytime they want. Also, they can read the mails offline from these folders.
Recently users have said that this email client is creating duplicate folders and emails for Sent Items, Drafts, Deleted Items and Junk Emails.
So if you are facing this problem and want to solve it then we have provided some of the best solutions to get rid of these duplicate folders and email issues.
How to remove Windows Live Mail duplicate folders & emails?
We have provided solutions that were applied by many users to solve this problem. So follow the methods that we have mentioned below to remove Windows Live Mail duplicate folders and emails.
1. Delete duplicate folders manually
- To do that, start Windows Live Mail client on your PC.
- Then you need to right-click on the email account header and select Properties option.
- The Properties window will be open, click on the IMAP tab.
- Now uncheck the Store special folders on IMAP server option which is available under the Special Folders section.
- After that, click on OK to save the changes.
- Then you will be prompted to Refresh the folder, click on Yes.
- Now the Windows Live Mail will take some time to download and refreshing the folders list.
Remove the folder
After disabling the Special Folders feature now its time to delete the existing duplicate folders manually from your PC.
Go to your email account and right-click on each of the duplicate folders one by one and select the Delete option.
You have to do this process for every folder manually. After doing that, you will no longer see any duplicate folders until you enabled the Special Folder feature.
2. Check date and time on your PC
If your date and time on your PC are not properly set then you may face this problem as well. So to check or adjust the date and time, follow the below instructions.
- First, right-click on the Time and Date option from the Taskbar.
- Then select Adjust Time/Date option.
- The Date and Time window will appear on your PC screen. Now, check if the date and time are set correctly.
- It the time or date is not set correctly then disable the Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically option.
- Then click on the Change button available under the Set the date and time manually.
- Now click on Change to save the changes.
- Before closing the date and time window, you have to make sure that you turn on Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically option again and close the window.
After adjusting the time and date now start Windows Live Mail and check for the problem.
3. Manually delete and sort the duplicates
- To do that, close the Windows Live Mail.
- Then open File Explorer and navigate to the following location:
C:Users<your username>AppDataLocalMicrosoftWindows Live Mail
- Now you need to copy all the files in the location and paste it in a separate folder as a backup.
- Then delete all the files from the Windows Live Mail folder.
- You have to delete the following Windows Live Mail program related files mentioned below:
Import sorted mail
- To do that, launch the Windows Live Mail. Now the app will create all the necessary files and folders that were deleted in the upper steps.
- Now click the Tools icon and select Import Messages. Usres can also click on File and then select Import Messages.
- After that, select Windows Live Mail in the new window and click Next.
- You will see the Browse button click on it and navigate to the Messages folder.
- From there, select the folder and click on OK.
- Now select All folders and then click on the Next button.
- At last, click on Finish. This is how users can import all the emails.
The duplicate folders and email problems occur in the Windows Live mail when the Special Folder feature is enabled. So follow the above methods to disable that feature on your PC and delete all the duplicates folders and emails without any problems.
If you have any questions or want to give suggestions then leave a comment in the comments section below.