Most of the users have Nikon cameras and they use these cameras for photography. Nikon is a big name in the camera industry that makes one of the best cameras for all types of users.
Nikon cameras use an SD card to save the pictures in it. But sometimes the camera stops reading the SD card. This is a very common problem and most of the users have reported that they are facing this issue with their Nikon cameras.
So if you are facing Nikon camera not reading the SD card problem then we have given some of the best solutions to fix it.
Methods to fix Nikon camera not reading SD
1. Do basic SD card checks
First, you have to check your SB card is working or not before you proceed with the troubleshooting tips.
- To check that, take out the SD card from the camera.
- Then reinsert the SD card in the camera. You have to make sure that you are inserting the memory card correctly.
- After that, you should hear a click sound when the SD card is inserted.
- Also, check that the SD card you are using is approved by the company. If you want to check the SD card then visit this website.
- Now take out the SD card and check if the memory card‘s contact pins are clean or not. To clean the SD card’s pins, use a soft dry cloth to clean any dust.
- After cleaning, reinsert the card and check the problem is there or gone.
2. Monitor and reformat SD card
By formating the SD card many of the users have solved the problem. But before formatting the SD card, users should check the card is working or not using a computer. To do that, follow the instructions mentioned below.
- First, insert the SD card into a card reader or laptop and check if it is detected.
- If the card is detected it’s mean that your SD card is working fine.
- Now create a back up of the data in the card to your computer.
- After that, right-click on the SD card and select the Format option.
- For the File system, click the drop-down menu and select FAT and click on the Start button.
- When it completed the formatting process, eject the SD card from your PC.
- Now insert the SD card into your Nikon camera and check that the problem is solved or not.
Format SD Card using Nikon camera
If you don’t have a PC or want to format the card from the camera the follow the below instructions.
- First, insert the SD card into your Nikon camera.
- Then press the Menu button.
- Now scroll down and select the Setup Menu option.
- After that, select the Format memory card option.
- Then click on Yes to confirm the action.
- Now the formatting process starts and after that check if the camera can read the card.
3. Upgrade Nikon camera firmware
If your camera firmware is not up to date then you might face the types of issues. So users have to make sure that they have regularly updated their cameras firmware.
- To do that first check the currently installed firmware, go to Menu > Setup > Firmware Version.
- Now go to the official Nikon support page.
- From there, select your camera model from the options.
- Now click on the latest version of the firmware available for your camera and download it.
- Note that, your camera battery is full. If not, then charge your camera first before starting this process.
- After that, extract the downloaded firmware and move the firmware files to your SD card. You don’t need to move the folder in the Sd card, but only the files available inside the folder.
- Now eject the SD and insert it into your Nikon camera.
- Then go to the Menu > Setup Menu > Firmware version.
- Over there you will see the Update option.
- Click the Update option and press on OK.
- Then select Yes and then select OK to confirm the action.
- Now you need to wait for some time to complete the updating process. When it’s done, you will see the Update completed. Turn Camera off message on the screen of your camera.
- Then turn off the camera and turn back on.
- Now, check if the Nikon camera can read the SD card.
These are some of the best solutions on how to fix the Nikon camera not reading the SD card. Most of the users have solved this problem by doing the above methods.
If you have any questions or want to give suggestions then leave a comment in the comments section below.