Table of Contents
Microsoft gives regular updates to Windows 10 users. By updating Windows 10, users get new features and improve security functions to protect your device. But sometimes users can not update their Windows because of some errors. Recently many users have reported that they are facing 0x800f0988 error in Windows 10 while updating it.
So if your facing this 0x800f0988 error then we have provided some of the methods below to help you solve it from Windows 10.
Method to fix Windows Update error 0x800f0988
We will show you some of the best methods to solve 0x800f0988 error while updating Windows 10. Follow the methods and get rid of this problem.
1. Customize WinSxS Folder
Microsoft officials said that by customizing the WinSxS folder users can solve the 0x800f0988 error from Windows 10. So to do that follow the below instructions.
- Press Windows + S keys to open Windows 10 search tool.
- Then enter the keyword cmd in the search box.
- Now right-click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- After that you need to enter this command in the Prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
- And then press the Return key.
- Now Restart Windows after the command has cleared the WinSxS folder.
Most of the users have solved the error by clean up or customize the WinSxS folder in Windows 10 PC.
2. Execute the Windows Update Troubleshooter
As we know that the Windows Update Troubleshooter helps users to solve the problems related to updating errors. So sometimes this troubleshooter solves these issues.
- To do that, go to the Windows search box and type the troubleshooter.
- Then click Troubleshoot settings from the above.
- Select Windows Update and click Run the troubleshooter to launch it.
- The Windows Update Troubleshooter will automatically search for the problem and fix it.
3. Reset Windows Update Components
Many users have suggested that by resetting Windows Update Components can also fix many update errors. To do that follow the below steps.
- To do that, open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Now input these separate commands into the Prompt’s window:net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Then enter ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old in the Command Prompt
- And press Return.
- Then input ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old into the Prompt, and press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Restart the services by entering the following commands:net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
4. Windows 10 Reinstallation
If the upper methods do not solve the problem then we recommend you to reinstall the Windows 10. So if you still face the 0x800f0988 error while updating Windows then reset the Windows 10 PC.
- First, enter reset this PC in Windows 10’s search box.
- After that, click Reset this PC from the top. This will open a new window.
- Then press the Get started button.
- Now select the Keep my Files option.
- At last, click on the Next and Reset buttons.
These are some of the best solutions that allow users to solve error 0x800f0988 in Windows 10 while updating it. If you have any questions or want to give suggestions then leave a comment in the comments section below.