External HDD is delivered for the convenience of PC users. No matter what sort of data they have, they are always allowed to import/export stuff from one device to another. Well, it is one of a kind of pen drive which you get to connect with your machines without any trouble.
Point bieng here to help users Fix Cannot Open Files on External Hard Drive. Because the only purpose of such devices is to bring further convenience into the life of users. But not irritate them with errors like “External HDD detected but not opening files/folders on Windows 10”. That’s why I’ve decided to help me viewers fix this critical issue by implying simply understandable steps.
2 Ways To Fix Cannot Open Files on External Hard Drive
Tweak Files/Folders Access Privileges
Step 1. Launch File Explorer on your device and open External HDD. Now right-click on the folder which is not approving your access. From the drop-down menu, select “Properties”
Step 2. Select the “Security” tab and after selecting it, click on the “Advanced” button from the same button.
Step 3. Give your folder all the appropriate permissions and when done, click on the “Ok” button.
Step 4. Reboot your PC and try accessing the files/folders who’s settings you tweaked.
Customize Folder Privileges from Command Prompt
- Type “CMD” in the Cortana search bar and click on “Run as Administrator”
- Now execute the following commands in the CMD interface.
- takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
- icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS: F
- Change the file paths and names according to your requirements. Like your external HDD could be D: or C: drive and also the name of the file or folder you are trying to open be changed.
That’s all, keep visiting WindowsBoy for more. I do also want you to share my guide on social platforms like Facebook & Twitter.