Most of your are facing the error file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved in Windows. This error occurs when you copy or move files to one folder to another. Even though, you have enough space in your hard drive but still facing these problems. So today we will show you the solution to fix this problem from your Windows.
Reason for File Size Exceeds The Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved
It is very annoying when you have a lot of space to copy the files in the external hard drive. The reason behind that error is that you are transferring the files larger than 4 GB to your external hard drive. Basically, this error occurs because you are using the external hard drive of the FAT32 file system.
There is a limitation in the FAT32 file system, that you can only copy the files of 4 GB whether you have 1 TB of space in the external drive. It is the built-in limitation and you can not save the file that exceeds 4 GB on the hard drive. So that why you guys are seeing file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved error on your Windows.
So now we are going to tell you the solution that helps you to fix the file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved error in Windows.
Solution To Fix File Size Exceeds The Limit Allowed And Cannot Be Saved
There are different solutions by which you can solve this error from your Windows 10, 8, 7.
As we told you earlier that this error appears when you copy the files that exceed the download size limitation. So need to edit the registry and change the limitation of your external hard drive. Follow the steps given below to edit the registry.
1. First, press Windows Key + R and enter regedit in it. Press Enter or click OK.
2. Edit the registry comes with many risks. So if you do not modify the registry properly then you will face the system stability issues. So it’s important to backup your registry. To do that you need to click on the file and then click on the Export option.
Then select the safe location to the backup registry. Now enter the file name and select All as Export range and click on the Save option.
After the registry is exported, use this exported file to restore everything if something went wrong while editing.
3. After the registry back up is done, you need to navigate to this in the left pane.
Then locate FileSizeLimitInBytes DWORD in the right pane and double click on it to open its properties.
4. Now enter 4294967295 in the Value data field and click on OK to save changes.
5. Then close the registry editor.
Now you have to restart your PC and this error will be solved from Windows. You have successfully change the limitation of your external hard drive.
Scan your PC
This error may be caused if your PC is infected with some virus. Many users have reported that this issue is caused due to malware infection. So scan your PC with the antivirus and solved the file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved error.
Configure SharePoint Storage
Some of the users reported that this error also appears if the files are located in the SharePoint folder. You need to fix this error by configuring your SharePoint storage to save larger files. SharePoint has a storage limitation, so you can change the limitation from the settings of it easily. After that, you guys can save the lager files without any issues.
How to Set a file size upload limit
If you are using the SharePoint app and facing this problem, then you need to change some settings. Follow the steps given below to change the settings.
- First, log in to Central Admin and navigate to Central Administration
- Application Management
- Manage Web Applications
- Then choose the applications that you want to change and click on the General Settings.
- After that, you will see the Maximum upload size value option.
- From there change that value to 2047 MB and save the changes.
Change Web.config File
In the above solution, we provide you the instructions to change the size limit in the SharePoint. But there is a way by which you can also do that for individual web applications. For that follow the instructions that are given below.
- First of all, open the Internet Information Server console on the server desktop.
- It opens the websites tree and you can select the website.
- After that, select the Open in Explorer View option.
- Now locate the web.config file in the folder. But first, back up the settings and create a copy of that file. Then open the original web.config file with Notepad. You can also use any other text editor apps as well.
- Open the notepad and locate the <httpRuntime maxRequestLength=”51200″ /> line and change it to <httpRuntime maxRequestLength=”204800″ />.
- You have to repeat these steps for every server in the SharePoint farm.
Increase Machine-level Request
Some of the users said that you can fix this issue in the SharePoint by doing some settings in the Administrative Command Prompt. Follow the settings that are given below.
- First, you need to open the Administrative Command Prompt. Press CTRL +C
- then type this command on it: %windir%\system32\inetsrv appcmd set config -section:requestFiltering -requestLimits.maxAllowedContentLength:209715200.
- After applying that command, you will get the confirmation message
This file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved error mostly face by the users of the SharePoint. But we provide you the several solutions that help you to solve that error from Windows.